Cyclic Groups in QlikView
Cyclic Groups is a very strong feature in QlikView to show a cycle of dimensions. It can be used to show related or unrelated dimensions in a chart.
In this blog, i want to show to how to handle groups dynamically.
My objective in this article is to show you how to switch between 2 cyclic groups based on user selections. Some time users want to see their data by fiscal Year or by Calendar Year. They want to switch time periods based on the user selection. This example assumes that Fiscal Year starts in May and Calendar Year starts in Jan
To explain this topic, i will first perform data load and create a small Data model. I will load the following tables
How to switch between 2 cyclic groups based on user selections
1. Create 2 Cyclic groups for Fiscal Year and for Calendar Year
2. Create a chart and add Fiscal Year cyclic Group and Calendar Year cyclic Group as Dimensions
3. Check the “enable conditional” for each of the cyclic group dimension and specify a condition such as below
4. Now when the user click on Calendar Type “Fiscal” , he will see the cyclic group for Fiscal Year and if the user selects Calendar Type “Calendar” he will see cyclic group of Calendar
5. To make it your dashboard more dynamic, you can display the Year and Month of the specific calendar type only when the user clicks on it. So if the user clicks on Fiscal, you can show only Fiscal Year and Fiscal month and hide Calendar Year and Month. You can do so by specifying the following condition in the Layout Show/Conditional
GetFieldSelections(CalendarTypeDesc) = ‘Fiscal’
You can also specify if conditions in the Cyclic Groups.
You can also use Cyclic Groups in a list box to filter your data
Cyclic groups are a very easy way to provide interactivity in dashboards.